Friday, July 16, 2010

More Web Tool Exploration

I have been working through the Top 20 Web Tool Countdown this week, and this is what I have discovered so far. ( I will put all on one post so hopefully it will not be too much text to sort through.)

I think Worlde can be used for some vocabulary fun. I just typed in some basic words to see how it works. I think it could be used as an intro slide in presentations.

title="Wordle: Physics"> src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/2233961/Physics"
alt="Wordle: Physics"
style="padding:4px;border:1px solid #ddd">



I played with Prezi some, but I did not create anything to post. I did see a presentation in a class today that used it and it was really catchy. The professors were pretty impressed. A student made a comment that students fall asleep with the boring bulleted items in ppts, and I think this would definitely keep students' attention.

I used Wallwisher to experiment if I could post a scientific question and have people respond to it. I created a simple one asking to predict the weather. If I get people to add "a sticky note" I may be able to see if I could post questions like this to my students.



I checked out Blabberize yesterday during a lunch break from a class but ran out of time to create something. Luckily, classmates used it in a presentation today to "blabberize" a fish. It was really cool. I think it is a creative way to get students' attention.

Experimented with ToonDooSpaces but soon realized I needed to move on. So, I went to Xtranormal, created a movie on velocity, but could not publish it because it cost money! Darn...I really thought that this would be a fun way for students to demonstrate their knowledge of a concept.

Finally, I opened the link for Glogster on the countdown and saw the author used a Glogster poster as her wiki homepage and had links for handouts, calendar, etc from there. This got me thinking about maybe setting my wiki up like this...hmmmm.

4 comments:

  1. http://www.wallwisher.com/wall/sciencefun

    This is the site for the wallwisher...it will not add as a link...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been busy!! I also am thinking that Prezi might be a good replacement for powerpoints that I need to show in class. I've used wordle before and really like it. I insert the text from my unit objectives and create a wordle for each unit. I use it to introduce the unit and get students thinking about what they will be learning. This year I am going to post them around the room so students can look back at them. It's definitely a new and interesting way to look at vocab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea about posting them around the room...I might be trying that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like using wordle as a pre/post assessment to incorporate writing into our content. I'll have my students write a paragraph demonstrating how they think the words relate to each other and then after we've gone through the lesson, reading, activity, etc. they will rewrite it as a ticket to leave to demonstrate what they learned. I like it a lot. I also like the idea of integrating Prezi to capture the students' attention more.

    ReplyDelete